Wednesday 25 January 2012

Trespassing Taxi Driver


Adam finally tweeted out something we'd all been so curious about up until now - the album cover for Trespassing. Perhaps in the days of downloads, covers aren't as important as they used to be but after all the controversy surrounding the FYE cover, this was an important one to get right to set the tone for the next era. This is another Lee Cherry creation at his consistently high standard:

Adam Lambert Trespassing album cover

As you can tell from the title, one of the first things that sprang to mind as I saw it for the first time was New York taxis. It's the bright yellow tone and the way Adam's name is perched on top of the title like a taxi roof sign. But the yellow hazard stripes, eroded typeface, its slant and the way it's angled also have that connection with cars, recalling movie posters such as Gone in 60 Seconds, Fast and Furious and other films of that ilk. It evokes a feeling of speed and danger.

Then we get to Adam's low saturation image, where I'm glad to see hair at his sides, little makeup, collar up, looking effortlessly cool. His complexion is intentionally pitted rather than smoothed out and his face has an intense expression, like he's daring you and if you wait a split second longer it'll turn into one of rebellious mischief making. The way the text sits below Adam's face makes it look like he could be holding one of those mugshot boards, in keeping with the outlaw theme. It's a little bit raw, urban, edgy but also undeniably cinematic, like it's about to burst into an exciting movie trailer.

Only one thing left to say, and that's to strap yourselves in because he's taking the wheel for one heck of a thrilling ride, after which I'm sure we'll all be hailing him.

14 comments:

  1. All you said, plus Adam in this pic is breathtakingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new image too! He's still teasing with a little bit of information here and there. Let's hope that when he hits British soil this time the rocket goes off. Knew you would comment today - always on the ball!! Thankyou (Denise)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, I can't wait until he comes to the UK. Hope he stays a while and does lots of performances!

      Delete
  3. Are you a little worried about Adam becoming too tame? I would miss his exploints on stage and all of his sexiness. Hope he doesn't give all of that up. So much fun. Of course, I want all good things for him, but ask him not to give up all the good things he gave us in the past. Does this make sense? Sandy...Wismiss3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wismiss3, I understand your concern about balancing commercial viability with artistic integrity but I'm not worried about him becoming tame, this is Adam after all! He's a lot less OTT in terms of vocals, sound and visuals for marketing purposes but I can't ever see his live performances being tame! We have yet to see/hear the 'light' side of his album, which is where I think he'll really let loose.

      Delete
  4. I really should read what I write before I hit publish. Sorry,I meant Exploits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam keeps mentioning that there's a light and dark side to the album. Well, note that one side of his face is somewhat shaded, whereas the other side isn't. I'm sure that was intentional ... and brilliant! Absolutely LOVE this album cover!!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I think we're going to love the album contents even more if all these initial reviews are anything to go by! Exciting times...

      Delete
  6. Hey, really nice evaluation of that. I hadn't noticed the NY taxi looking theme- being a Brit, not exactly one of the first things that comes to mind, but now you've mentioned it, yeah, I do agree with you on that one. I hadn’t really liked the typeface/styling of the name/title, but its starting to grow on me a little after that.
    I always love your evaluations of things- they're always really insightful, and you never fail to make me take a look/listen at something in a new light.
    And yes, Adam is simply breathtaking in that photo!

    SapphireNight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SapphireNight, I guess I've seen too many films based in NY! I'm not all that keen on the typefaces (aesthetically speaking) either, but overall I like the excitement and anticipation it evokes. And it's always a plus when we get such a stunning photo!

      Delete
  7. Adam Lambert is a way cool here in his poster and his new track looks pretty good thou I haven't heard it yet but I'm sure it will gonna be another big hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fan of adam lambert, I agree, very cool! I'm very excited about all the new music after everything I've read.

      Delete
  8. Does it look to anyone like he has the two different colored eye thing going from the BTIKM video? I wont say which eye looks which color as I dont want to bias anyone looking. The color is so minimal that its tough to say for certain, maybe looking at it in person it will be more obvious. J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's definitely two different coloured eyes to show that both characters exist within him.

      Delete